Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Long Day

Today has been a LOOOOOOONG day. Last night was long enough and just as I got back to sleep this morning at 7:30ish the day started. First our pediatrician came in to tell us the results of Max's Upper GI test he had done yesterday (which was not fun btw). He said that he was shocked, or surprised that everything anatomically looked perfect. He said not that he was hoping for something to be wrong, but it was just surprising that everything was normal. Then he told us that he wanted to get a swallow test done today. He also put Maximus on Prevacid for some slight acid reflux. Tony ran home at about 7:30 because his new computer was being delivered this morning sometime. At 8, I tried to go back to sleep but another Dr came in to check his vitals and make sure I knew what was going on for the day. Tony calls me at 8:30 telling me that he plugged the computer in and it won't turn on. And the only thing he could do was run it to the Apple store to try and get it fixed. He got there and they told him to just ship it back and they will send him a new one out. He wasn't very happy and neither was I because he was stressed about getting back in time for Max's test, but needs the computer to finish some video editing. Then at 9:30 Maximus got his NG tube (Nasogastric - feeding tube down the nose). After the nurse left, I cried. It was not fun and he was not happy. Then while I fed him his bottle (which is what I'm doing now instead of putting him at the breast, still giving him breast milk and formula with banana's to thicken it, because he gulps it too fast) I'm praying the whole time that he will take all of the bottle so I don't have to put the rest of what he doesn't eat in the NG. He has to eat 500 ML's in a 24 hour period. At 10, they tell me that Radiology and the OT (Occupational Therapist) want the NG tube out for the testing. Which keep in mind I asked the nurse about that and she suggested putting it in just to get started with the 500 ML a day. I was so mad! It could have waited one feeding! So then the swallow test was scheduled for 1:30, we get down there on time and they tell us that they are behind a half an hour! Well we scheduled it with his feedings so to make him go another 30 min without eating would mess him up. But we couldn't do anything and I needed to pump for them to test my breast milk for calories, so I ran back upstairs to pump for 10 min and just as I get started they tell me they are ready. Go figure. Then as I'm heading back to the room to give my milk to the nurse for testing, I start my period! Like really? (sorry if thats TMI, but it seriously could not have come at a better time?! Really?) I had heard that while your nursing you may not have a period. So it came as a complete shock and I was worried that it wasn't my period, it's my first one since getting pregnant. I called my mom and she called our OB and he said not worry its normal! Phew. Then I ran back down in the knick of time, they were just about to start the testing! I wanted to be there so I could feed him his bottle for the test. We got done at about 2, came back to the room and started his feeding. Because he had gone so long we had to give him more to make up what he hadn't eaten. He didn't take it all in the bottle so we had to put the rest in the NG. After I fed him, my mom took him while Tony and I ran home to get some more stuff and get some food. We are back now finally just chilling in the room. The swallow test results we will get from the Pediatrician in the morning but the OT said everything looked pretty good other than he has a low tone with his sucking meaning he doesn't have a strong suck. But everything looks pretty good there too. So whats the problem you ask? If you ask me, he is just tiring out and not getting all the nutrients he needs in one day. Nothing is wrong with his anatomy or internally that we can see thus far. And we can deal with a little reflux. So right now, I am praying we won't have to go home with the NG. I only have a little over a week left before going back to work and I just don't want to deal with that worry even though I know he will be ok and I have plenty of help to take care of him. Anyway, thats an update for now. Here are some pictures and some videos if you feel so inclined to watch the tests.

Getting a ride with mom to Radiology



The Radiology machine


So comfy


Me and Mom waiting to get the show over with


Getting the Upper GI test


Ready for the swallow test to start! I'm so tired! Just leave me alone already!


Isn't this the cutest sad face you've ever seen?


Comy for a min in this cool chair. He almost jumped out of it!


back in my room, mom feeding me


My monkey toe grabbing my cord


Swallow Test videos



Upper GI Test video (I couldn't get the other one to work, but this gives you an idea of what it was like)

1 comment:

The Nixon's said...

Oh he is just so precious! I love the picture of his sad face, it is the cutest sad face ever! Sorry it was such a crazy day for you and him, you guys are in our prayers! I hope tomorrow is a better day!