At his Dr appointment on Tuesday he had lost 2.5 oz and then from Wednesday to Thursday's weighing he lost another 2.5 oz. So we were worried because he was back down to his 9 lbs 1 oz. But today he was up 8 oz! I was so happy! It's helping that we have a continuous feed on him through his feeding tube. So he is getting 20ml every hour and then I am feeding him 20-30ml every 2 hours. So he is getting 60-70ml every 2 hours, which is about 2.25 oz. I'm hoping he will start taking 30ml every bottle so we can reduce the feeding tube and get rid of it. But I guess if it's helping I just have to deal with it.
Maximus has been such a trooper (not that he hasn't been his whole 2.5 months of life), even though he is miserable for the most part he is happy. He has his moments but I'm so glad he can smile and play and be happy too. It makes it better for me and Tony and everyone here. I have been sick too, and stressed and so my milk supply is about gone. I'm trying to get it back up by keeping hydrated, sleeping when I can during the day when I have help, and pumping every 2-3 hours. Today is the first day I am feeling somewhat better. I'm not coughing up my lungs every 5 min and my throat isn't hurting as bad.
While being here, I have learned a lot. Mostly that it could be worse. I have met and seen a few kids and parents who have a bigger challenge than I. And it makes me feel blessed. I pray for them every night and I pray for the kind of strength they have. One of our nurses, told us that he had twin boys at home, 14 years old with Cerebral Palsy. One of them can't walk and is in a wheel chair, the other can walk but very stiffly. Both of them are blind, in diapers and have feeding tubes. They were born at 28 weeks, and just struggled to get out via C-section. They were both so tiny and just didn't have the development they needed. I was overwhelmed. I felt so bad for him, but he was so positive and you could just feel the love he had for his two hero's. He told us to not be discouraged from having more kids. Him and his wife waited too long, but they do have a 3 year old girl too. Also down the hall from us is a 7 year old boy, also with Cerebral Palsy and something else. I can't remember. But he is in a wheel chair, has a tracheotomy and feeding tube. I'm not sure why he is in here but he is hooked up to all sorts of things, it makes me think twice about complaint about the 6 cords attached to my son (nose cannula for oxygen, feeding tube, 3 chest monitors, and oxygen monitor). I and Tony have almost considered careers in nursing. We both know how to do pretty much everything the nurses can do. It's so packed here, every room is full including the rooms that double. And they are under staffed, so it makes it difficult for them to keep up, so therefore we do a lot of the monitoring and changing of stickers and tubes and we know how to run the monitor screen in the room too.
Sorry this update has been so long, hope everyone is doing well! We can have visitors this time all you need is the code and room number so shoot me a text, email, Facebook message or whatever if you'd like to come by! Here are a few photos while being here. I have some videos but the Internet is so slow here it won't let me upload them so I'll have to do it later.
Monitor
Feeding machine (Kangaroo Pump)
Maximus currently
My bed. :)
A few nights ago...
1 comment:
Poor boy and Mama! Sorry to hear it was RSV. Have you tried fenugreek supplements or mothers milk tea for your milk supply? It really helped me when I went back to work and had to start pumping while I was gone. I have a huge stash of the tea and could give you some to try and see if it works. I ordered 6 boxes on Amazon and after a box my supply improved enough I didn't feel like I needed it anymore. So if you want to try it message me! I've also heard that eating steel cut oatmeal everyday helps your supply. Worth a try maybe! Good luck!
Post a Comment