We went to the cardiologist today, we were suppose to have gone last Monday to see him but long story short we got there and they had changed our appointment without telling us. I was a little upset to say the least. Anyhow, today we received good news and bad news. The bad news is he has to go back on his oxygen for two more months. I had taken it off of him last week because our pediatrician told me he didn't think Maximus needed it anymore. Today the cardiologist told us that Max still has Pulmonary Hypertension and he will need the oxygen for the next two months to see if it will clear up. Also he said that the hole in his heart (which I didn't even know about, I knew he had the one that all infants have at birth but is suppose to close off after a few days. But I didn't know that Max's was bigger and different. It's called an ASD.) Max's hasn't closed all the way and may not ever close but they aren't worried too much about it because it is so small, if it were a big deal they could surgically go in and close it, which I wasn't too excited about. So I'm hoping it doesn't cause any major problems. Also, a major concern is he hasn't gained weight. He is only weighing 7lbs 4oz, which is his birth weight. I was a little emotional over this and I am a little worried. I'm hoping its because he is so active and he is fighting so much. The cardiologist called our pediatrician and got us an appointment tomorrow to start trying to figure out why he is not gaining weight and what we can do about it. He said we may even need to spend 24 hours at the hospital to run some test on my breast milk and to do some test weights on him, meaning they will weigh him, then I'll feed him and then we weigh him again to see how much he's really eating. I thought and still think he eats really well and gets enough but maybe because while in the NICU he was on a feeding tube for the first 4 days he was getting the same amount every time and now he's on his own and maybe he doesn't get as much as he should be. Also he is a very gassy baby, always has gas. So I'm wondering if he has too much air in his tummy while feeding and he thinks he is full, so it stops him from getting full with nutrients. I don't know, just things I have in mind. I'm hoping to get some answers and solutions tomorrow! And I am hoping he will start gaining weight! He's grown 2 inches though! That's the crazy part!
Anyways, thats a little update on our Maximus. He is still so much fun! I love him so much. All his cute noises and he is smily a lot! Especially after I feed him, he looks at me and just smiles and smiles! I need to do some more video of him and post that so you can all see what I see everyday! Here are some photo's I wanted to post! I also fixed the photos in the post below....
Getting an EKG (Electrocardiogram)
We had to hold him down to get him to be still
Getting another (3rd in his almost 6 weeks of life) ECHO
He pretty much slept through the whole thing!
The Dr that did the ECHO (He's actually done all three of them on Maximus)
This is a picture of him falling asleep in the bath, He loves his bath time! It will be harder now with his oxygen to give him a bath every night.
He did the laundry with me today and fell asleep on the warm clothes out of the dryer, it was so cute!
I will post tomorrow on what the pediatrician says, wish us luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment