I took Maximus last Thursday (the 12th) into the pediatrician's office just to get a weight check on him. He hadn't been weighed for 2 weeks, so I was hoping to see a big number. Well to my dismay he was only 10 lbs 4 oz. He only gained 2 oz in two weeks! I was so sad! I couldn't believe it because the only thing that had changed was giving him more in his bottles. My Dr was not in due to spring break and being on vacation. So they wanted me to see the other Dr. I opted not to because of many reasons. Not because I didn't trust his judgement or anything, but because my Dr just knows more about our situation and still doesn't know it all so the last thing I wanted was for another Dr to have to read through Maximus's chart, then ask me what's been going on and pay $25 bucks for him to tell me to just keep doing what I'm doing and he will have my Dr call me when he gets back! So I just told the nurses I would call my Dr when he returned on the following Tuesday. So Tuesday, I called and they just had me make an appointment for Thursday, which was yesterday. We went in at 8am. I was so nervous and scared that he had only gained an ounce or two so I was expecting the worst. But to my surprise, my awesome little man gained 7.5 oz!! So he now weights 10 lbs 11.5 oz! Still small I know, but he gained and that in itself is a miracle. I was so happy. The Dr was happy too but still concerned about him not weighing enough. So he told me to come back next Thursday (the 27th) and we will weigh him again and see where he is at. Also he was going to check with the nutritionist at the hospital and see what else we can do to maybe get Maximus to gain some more weight. So I'm interested to see how this next appointment will go. Man, I thought for sure we were Dr free for a while! Oh well, I guess I should learn by now not to have expectations right?
Also Tony noticed a couple weeks ago that Maximus has a ridge in his suture lines on his forehead. They told us to watch for these because sometimes they can fuse together, or overlap. Overlapping is ok, and fixable by a helmet or repositioning him while he sleeps.
But if his skull is fusing together that means surgery to fix it. It's basically like brain surgery. So our Dr ordered some x-rays to see whats going on. Maybe its nothing? Thats what I'm hoping to hear. If something is wrong I hope its just the overlapping and we can fix it quick and not have to put him through another surgery and us to have to worry about something going wrong. Here are some pictures of him getting the X-rays. It was funny because they told me I would need to stand behind the glass and they would let Tony help hold him down because its not fun for mom's to hold their babies down during the procedure, apparently they all scream. I told them I'd be ok, we'd been through enough and I doubted he would get too upset but they kind of insisted I just go behind the glass, and I was fine with that because Tony was going to be with them, but at the same time I was thinking you guys have no idea what we've been through nor do you realize your dealing with a tough little dude! Needless to say, Maximus pretty much thought it was the coolest thing. He didn't cry at all, and he was just having fun kicking the table and staring at all the cool lights in the room! The technician was shocked she told me she was surprised he was doing so well and that she had never seen a baby stay that still and be that content! I wanted to say "Told ya so!", but I kept my cool and just laughed.
Maximus has also decided to have his own agenda (hence the title of this post). Basically the last week, he sleeps when HE wants to sleep and usually only 20 min every few hours during the day and at night he wakes up crying a lot! So I'm exhausted just a little. Last night he actually slept really well for the first time he didn't wake up crying at all, just woke up to eat. Also he eats when and how much HE wants to eat. So I'm still struggling with that a little but he is eating good so I'm not worried he's not getting enough. He also wants all the attention all the time! I just figure with all this at least its normal right?! I know all babies go through these phases.
Here are some cute pictures of the last few days or so
in the waiting room at the hospital
Sleeping with Daddy
All tuckered out from yard work
Sleeping again
1 comment:
I can't believe we've had your thank-you card on our bulletin board now for months and I just noticed you have a blog. Glad to hear Max is doing better. He'll be one of those kids that gets to eat all the ice cream he wants because he's so skinny. And just to confirm, Layla, our little drama queen, also has her own agenda, especially with sleep. She'll cat nap all day and stay up all night. She's getting better now but for a while there we were both zombies. They grow out of it, eventually. He's a blessing worth being tired over though.
Post a Comment